Maths Think Board Templates are great teaching tool that will help your students build deeper levels of understanding in a wide range of concepts. They are especially useful in the math classroom to help students practice and consolidate what they have been learning. When teaching numeracy plan activities or math rotations that incorporate maths think board templates so that you can help your students, improve their mathematical knowledge and understandings. Our Free maths think board printables and activity ideas will help your students become confident mathematical thinkers. Scroll to end of the post for the FREE Download, check out all our think board templates here…
Maths Think Board Concepts
Think boards are an effective visual learning strategy for your students. Templates can be created for a wide range of math concepts. We have created a black line master pack for you to download with 12 different maths think board templates. Templates in the pack cover the following math concepts on separate think boards:
- Numbers – reading, writing, saying whole numbers, decimal numbers, fractions, improper fractions, number words, Numerals, Digits
- Number Sense – 0-9 number sequence, number order, before & after, tens and ones, place value, expanded notation
- Quantity – tens frames, counters, MAB, fingers, unifix cubes, number line, tally, number sentences.
12 Maths Think Board Templates
We put together a handy Black Line Masters pack for your to save you time finding the templates. We created 12 templates that can be printed onto A4 paper or blown up to A3. The templates can be used for individual student work, as a post-pre assessment, or in small groups of 2-4, with each member of the group taking a section each. The think board download can be completed in any order and can be reused if laminated or put inside a reusable pocket. Each template can easily be differentiated by using larger or smaller numbers, and the teacher can scribe for younger students or students with special needs.
The 12 Templates include:
- Place Value think board – Use the Place Value Dice Shaker to generate up to 9 digit numbers – this template helps students learn how to read and say numbers in groups of 3 and highlights how the word ‘and’ is represented (e.g. three hundred and two is not 3002).
- Place Value (2) – This is a 6 segment board in including a place value frame, draw it, word form, make it with MAB, standard form, expanded form
- Connecting Numbers, words, digits & quantity (1) – A 5 section template to connect numbers, pictures, concrete materials, number sentences and number stories(word problems) try completing different sections first, e.g. start with the answer is 12 what could the question be?
- Number Sense (1) ‘Teen’ Numbers – A 5 segment template that helps your students build flexibility with numbers. The students are required to show the numeral, number before, after, in tens and ones, with materials and draw in their own tens frames. This one is excellent for teen numbers!
5. Blank Think Board Templates – complete each section any way you want . Great for a prior knowledge assessment or a post unit assessment
6. Fraction Think Board Template (1) -5 segments with space to write in words or digits or both. Headings include: fraction, decimal, show on a number line, make or draw a model and create a place value chart – there are no scaffolding elements, it’s up to the student to create everything. You could ask the student to select their own fraction or 3-5, to work on or tell them “the answer is…____ what is the problem?”
7. Operations Think board – A 5 section template, one section for add, subtract, multiply and divide and a middle section for the target number. It can be a whole number, percentage, fraction or decimal.This template shows the relationship laws between the 4 operations. It can be used to show your students the commutative law, the link between repeated addition and multiplication, the links between multiplication and division and relationship between addition and subtraction. Ask students to create a number sentence to show how to get to the given answer, as well as draw a diagram or use materials.
8. Connecting Numbers, words, digits & quantity (2) – A 4 section template to connect numbers, number words, quantity with drawings and materials and quantity on fingers.
9. Number Sense (2) – A 7 section template that helps your students build flexibility with numbers. Complete one or more sections for your students or use the template in a co-operative group. Sections include: answer, number story (word problem), diagram, number line(not drawn), ten frame, tally and number sentence.
10. Fraction Think Board Template (2) – 7 segments with space to write in words or digits or both. Headings include: fraction, decimal, show on a number line, make or draw a model and create a place value chart, equivalent fraction, improper fraction – there are no scaffolding elements, it’s up to the student to create everything. You could ask the student to select their own fraction or 3-5, to work on or tell them “the answer is…____ what is the problem?”
11. Problem Solving Strategy Template (anecdotal record) – A 6 section template that focuses the students on how to tackle solving math problems. Write the problem in the centre box as a number sentence or word problem. Students then complete the boxes “what do you need to find out?” , “Brainstorm so ideas”, “Solve it”, “Self Reflection”. Teachers use this as a conferencing tool to record student understandings. Or it can be used as an extension tool for students to teach each other how to solve problems.
12. Problem Solving Template – 6 sections including answer, word story, semantic number sentence, part-part-whole working out and calculator number sentence.
Think Board Template Resources
- Pill box Dice Shaker Instructions – colour code your dice shakers to help your students read and say big numbers
- Think Board Template Pack – Download Here
- 3 FREE Think Board Printables
- Reusable Pockets
The A Plus Teacher has been a Primary School Numeracy Curriculum Leader and Coach for 16 years and now advisors A Plus Teaching Resources about Teaching Numeracy
The A+ Team is Passionate About helping educators to save time so that they can concentrate on the most important job in the world… Teaching! The Team Creates Time Saving, Tried & Tested, Hands-on, Teaching Resources, Ideas, Organisers, Checklists, Printables, Posters, & Games!