Have you ever used a Muffin Tin To Teach Maths?
Muffin tin maths is a fun activity to help your students build recall and fluency of maths facts. We used this idea as part of our guided maths rotations as a way to build fluency and recall of multiplication facts. This classroom activity also encouraged students to use their range of Mental Maths strategies to solve a range of different maths problems. If you want to save time prepping, cutting photocopying and laminating your maths activities then this muffin tin maths activity is for you! Download the Free activity ideas sheet and give this awesome idea for Math Centre , Homeschool or Homework a go!
Teaching numeracy with our Muffin Tin Maths FREE download will make your guided maths lessons fun and engaging. Our free maths activities printable will help you create hundreds of math problems in no time at all. It includes so many different ideas for teaching a range of Numeracy concepts:
Easy To Differentiate and Self-checking
This math centre idea will help you meet the needs of your students and differentiate each math problem by colour coding your muffin pan liners. To enable self-checking either write the answer on the bottom of the liner or if you can see it through the paper, insert a double liner.
Mental Maths in the Curriculum
Download our FREE Activity printable to see connections to the Australian Curriculum for Foundation -Year 6, it includes:
- Foundation – Subitising, Principles of Counting & Number Recognition
- Year 1 – Skip Counting, Solve simple addition & subtraction problems, Tell time to the half hour
- Year 2 – Partition & Rearrange numbers to 1000, Coin Recognition, Solve Addition & Subtraction problems
- Year 3 – Odd or Even Numbers, Recall of Addition & Subtraction Facts, Features of 3D objects
- Year 4 –Multiplication, Division, Compare Angles
- Year 5 – Factors, Addition & Subtraction of Fractions, Rounding
- Year 6 – Prime Numbers, Square Numbers, Triangular numbers, Multiply decimals by Powers of ten, Convert between Units of Measurement
Muffin tin Maths Equipment:
How to play:
- To use as an activity for subitising you will need to play using a dot dice – Players take turns to roll the dice and pop a pompom into the matching muffin liner, the winner is the player who has the most pompoms.
- You can also play without dice – Players take turns to throw a pompom into one of the muffin pan liners, write down the problem & then solve the problem. The winner is the first to get 3 in a row or the most correct.