Our spider themed printable number games are just too cute to spook! Try them & put some FANGtastic fun into teaching number recognition this Halloween!
Teaching Number Recognition in the Classroom
Teaching number identification is a complex concept, it’s so much more than reciting numbers in a chant “1,2,3,4,5 …” For children to achieve strong number recognition understanding, they need hands-on activities that provide them with opportunities to understand how numbers work and connect with each other.
Repetition and practice is the key to building a strong understanding of numbers, so you will need a large variety of activities, printables and teacher worksheets for your kids.
Here is a handy list of number recognition understandings for you to include in your programming:
- subitize /subitise small quantities
- match digits, number words and quantity 0-20 in a variety of ways
- digit formation 0-20
- count a collection to find how many are in it
- know that numbers are in a particular order and we use that order to count and say numbers
The activities we have created are perfect for making sure everything on this list is covered so you don’t have to waste your time looking for quality activities!
*This post contains affiliate links APTR may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you , for referring your purchase.
Spider Printable Number Games
Our spider themed number recognition games are really cute. More importantly, they are really effective at helping your kiddos learn all about numbers 1-6.
We included 4 different activities to make sure you have plenty to choose from for your math rotations:
- Craft Spider
- Dice Game
- Clip Cards
These hands-on activities will get your kids to recognize & identify the same numbers in a range or representations including; subitizing/subitising dots, digits, number words, ten frames, tallies and finger counting.
Click the images to check out our other SPOOKtacular Number Recognition Activities for Halloween!
Craft Spider Printable Number Games
Craft Spider – This is a fun craft activity come dice game, where students have to match all the different representations of the numbers 1-6. They are given the opportunity to find matching ten frames (standard and non-standard), tallies, words, digits, fingers and dice
Spider Printable Number Games – Instructions Video…
We made a video to show you how to make the spider craft activity.
Making the Spider
- Cut out all the pieces one set for each child
- Attach the spider leg templates to the body of the spider
- Work with a small group of students or one-on-one. The child rolls the six sided dice and the child chooses one of the matching images to stick onto the spider legs. e.g a 6 is rolled so they can choose a 6 in a ten frame, a tally, fingers, words, or dice dots to stick onto the spider. They select only ONE at a time. Then they roll again and continue until all the pictures have been added to the spider
- Differentiate by not using all the different representations of the numbers
Making the Spiderweb
- Take a paper plate and get your student to punch holes around the edge of the plate. You can add 6 or more and write the numbers 1-6 next to each hole if you like
- Next take some twine and the plastic needle and thread the twine through the holes to create a web. This can be random or if you have written numbers onto the plate the child can thread the holes in order forwards or backwards.
- Then place your finished spider behind the web and display in the class. SOOOO Cute!
Printable Number Game board
We also created a game board version for your math centres for extra practice. This game can be played independently or in a small group. Just print and laminate! Play as in the craft version!
This spider bingo includes a 1-12 number board and 9 different player base boards. Copy them onto A4 or select the ‘Print Multiple’ option in the printing menu to get two A5 boards onto one page.
You can differentiate the activity by deciding which version of the calling cards you’re going to use, the pack includes, digits, tenframes, fingers, tallies, dots & number words.
For added Halloween Fun, we used plastic creepy crawly counters to mark off our bingo boards!
Spider Printable Number Games – Clip Cards
Clip cards are just so easy to prep and use in math rotations. Kids just love using mini pegs to clip the answers or they can also use dry erase markers to tick the answer off!
There are 4 versions of these cute spider clip cards in the pack:
- Subitizing/Subitising dots on spiders – Digit Hats 1-6
- Subitizing/Subitising dots on spiders – Number Word Hats 1-6
- Digits on spiders – Number Word Hats 1-6
- Number words on spiders – Digit Hats 1-6
Buy These Number Recognition Printables
Grab this Cute Pumpkin Number Tracing FREE Printable
Halloween Number Recognition Pack 2
For some Awesome Literacy activities head on over to my blogging Buddy Yara at Sea of Knowledge!
More Ideas for Teaching Number Recognition
The A Plus Teacher has been a Primary School Numeracy Curriculum Leader and Coach for 16 years and now advisors A Plus Teaching Resources about Teaching Numeracy
The A+ Team is Passionate About helping educators to save time so that they can concentrate on the most important job in the world… Teaching! The Team Creates Time Saving, Tried & Tested, Hands-on, Teaching Resources, Ideas, Organisers, Checklists, Printables, Posters, & Games!