Teaching Number Recognition, or learning to identify and name numbers, is one of the first things a kindergarten or pre-schooler will learn how to do. It is a complicated concept because it involves much more than being able to name a number.
Traditional flash-card activities will help with recalling and naming different numbers, but this is a long way from teaching children a deep mathematical understanding about number recognition. For this to happen children need numerous opportunities to discover and explore the connection between number names, numerals and quantity (counting).
*Some links in this post are affiliate links. This will not affect your buying experience at all, but A Plus Teaching Resources will receive a small compensation in compensation for referring your purchase.
Teaching Number Recognition – Activities
Here is a collection of hands-on activities to help your students recognise, apply and understand numbers. When planning activities it is important to create a range of experiences for the students that don’t just focus on saying or chanting the names of numbers. Math programs need to include activities, games and learning experiences that teach students depth of the concept and encourages them to apply their understandings to a range of situations. Don’t Forget To Bookmark this page and check back often, we add new thing regularly!
- The language of counting – the names of numbers, exposure to numbers and counting in other cultures
- The process of counting– naming the numbers in sequence, forwards and backwards and from any starting point. Building understanding of the number sequence and how all numbers are made from combination of the same digits 0-9. Understanding that numbers are said in a particular order and there are patterns in the way we say them
- Connect number names, numerals and quantities, including zero
- Counting is not chanting it involves a number of steps or “Counting Principles” – understanding that each object must be counted only once, that the arrangement of objects does not affect how many there are, and that the last number counted answers the ‘how many’ question
- Number Recognition Colouring Robot Game
- Number Recognition 0-10 – Counting on fingers, tallies, tens frames, quantity, digits
- Number Sorting Think Boards- Concept Attainment strategy
- I Spy Numbers Detective- Number Recognition Activity
- Dab & Dot Number Fact Fluency
- Roll Dot & Subitise to 6
- Rice Bin – Separating numbers & letters – Concept Attainment Think Board
- Hole Punch Fine Motor Activities
- Fine Motor Rainbow Math Game
- Numbers 0-10 Hole Punch Cards- Counting on Fingers, Tallies, Tens Frames, Digits, words & Dots
- Dab and Dot Number Recognition Activities
- Blank Dot Subitising Sheet
- Threading beads & pipe cleaners (Coming Soon)
- Tens Frames(Coming Soon)
- Counting on Fingers(Coming Soon)
- Playdough Mats(Coming Soon)
- Muffin Tin Maths
- Towers(Coming Soon)
- Roll, Dab & Dot Giant Dice (Coming Soon)
- Sprinkles and Salt Trays (Coming Soon)
- Egg Carton Counting (Coming Soon)
- 125+ Number, Numerals & Quantity Ideas
Don’t Miss Out!!! Sign up to our Blog To get the next Resources idea & Free Printable Delivered To Your Email !!!