These amazing activities for Teaching Number Recognition are designed for kindergarten or preschool kids. Tried & Tested Ideas for Teaching Numeracy that work!
Teaching Number Recognition
Teaching number recognition or learning to identify and name numbers, is one of the first things a kindergarten or pre-schooler will learn how to do. It is a complicated concept because it involves much more than being able to name a number.
Traditional flash-card activities will help with recalling and naming different numbers, but this is a long way from teaching children a deep mathematical understanding about number recognition.
For this to happen children need numerous opportunities to discover and explore the connection between number names, numerals and quantity (counting).
Try these engaging hands-on activities, teacher resources and free teacher worksheets and printables next time you’re planning and teaching numeracy, for excellent results for your children!
Click here to get more freebies
*Some links in this post are affiliate links. This will not affect your buying experience at all, but A Plus Teaching Resources will receive a small compensation in compensation for referring your purchase.
Teaching Number Recognition Activities
Here is a collection of hands-on activities to help your students recognise, apply and understand numbers. When planning activities it is important to create a range of experiences for the students that don’t just focus on saying or chanting the names of numbers. Math programs need to include activities, games and learning experiences that teach students depth of the concept and encourages them to apply their understandings to a range of situations. Don’t Forget To Bookmark this page and check back often, we add new thing regularly!
These activities include the opportunity for your kids to learn:
- The language of counting – the names of numbers, exposure to numbers and counting in other cultures
- The process of counting– naming the numbers in sequence, forwards and backwards and from any starting point. Building understanding of the number sequence and how all numbers are made from combination of the same digits 0-9. Understanding that numbers are said in a particular order and there are patterns in the way we say them
- Connect number names, numerals and quantities, including zero
- Counting is not chanting it involves a number of steps or “Counting Principles” – understanding that each object must be counted only once, that the arrangement of objects does not affect how many there are, and that the last number counted answers the ‘how many’ question
- Trick or Treat Your Kids Into Learning with these Spooky Halloween Themed Number Recognition Tracing Mats (Coming Soon!)
- Number Colouring Math Game For Kids – Robot Colouring Game
- Teaching Number Recognition Activities 0-10 – Counting on fingers, tallies, tens frames, quantity, digits
- Number Think Board -Perfect For Sorting Numbers Using The Concept Attainment strategy
- I Spy Numbers Detective – Number Recognition Free Game
- Playdough Mats – Numbers 0-20
- Fact Fluency Dice Activities – Do a Dot markers
- Roll Dot Numbers Math Activity FREE
- Coloured Rice Sensory Bin – Separating numbers & letters – Concept Attainment Think Board
- Hole Punch Fine Motor Activities
- Fine Motor Rainbow Math Game
- Numbers 0-10 Hole Punch Activities– Counting on Fingers, Tallies, Tens Frames, Digits, words & Dots
- Fact Fluency Dice Activities – Do A Dot Markers
- Blank Dot Sheet – Subitizing practice
- Egg Carton Addition Teaching Ideas
- Subitising Egg Carton Activities & Number Recognition
- Egg Carton Ten Frame Activities
- Number Recognition Printables -Do A Dot Activities
- 125+ Number, Numerals & Quantity Ideas
- Apple Themed Addition From Sea of Knowledge – Using ‘Ten Red Apples’ by Pat Hutchins To Teach Addition
- Clever Strategies for Teaching Number Recognition Using Beads & Pipe Cleaners You Must Try! – Great fine motor activity
- Teaching Number Recognition Activities 0-10 – Counting on Fingers, Tallies, Tens Frame Digits & Number words
- Playdough Mats
- Muffin Tin Maths
- FREE 0-20 Printables Numbers – 75 Templates for Numbers 0-20 ideal for playdough, Craft and do-a-dot tracing
- Towers(Coming Soon)
- Roll, Dab & Dot Giant Dice (Coming Soon)
- Sprinkles and Salt Trays (Coming Soon)
Don’t Miss Out!!! Sign up to our Blog To get the next Resources idea & Free Printable Delivered To Your Email !!!
Teaching number sense is kind of a big deal during the early years. Our Blogging buddies over at Sea of Knowledge also has a list of some incredible hands-on math number sense activities which you have to see!